Rangnick reveals Wolfsburg snub

BY foxsports • February 14, 2011

Former Hoffenheim coach Ralf Rangnick has confirmed that he turned down an approach from Wolfsburg following the dismissal of Steve McClaren.

The 52-year-old told Sky television that he wants to take a bit of time out from coaching after leaving Hoffenheim on New Year's Day after five years in charge.

"There was contact (with Wolfsburg), but I made it clear from the very beginning that I am only available for a new job from the summer," he said.

However, given Wolfsburg's 1-0 defeat at home to Hamburg which has raised doubts about whether Pierre Littbarski can last as an interim solution, Rangnick gave the Wolves some hope that he can change his mind.

He told ZDF television that he would "not rule anything out."

"As things stand now, I don't want to take on a new job this season, but you can never say never in this business."

The Wolves slumped to 15th in the table this weekend and are only above the bottom three thanks to a one-goal superior goal difference over Kaiserslautern.

Littbarski was placed in charge until the end of the season following McClaren's dismissal last week, but his lack of coaching experience in the Bundesliga and the impression his side made on Saturday have raised doubts about how long he will last.


share story