Martinez hopeful on Caldwell
The Scotland international missed last weekend's defeat at Manchester United with a thigh injury. Wigan feared the 28-year-old former Celtic player could be out for up to six weeks but the problem has not proved as serious as first thought. Martinez said: "We never expected him to have any chance but as it stands he probably has a small chance of being involved. "It is not a surprise knowing Gary, the way he looks after himself. "Those little niggles that for certain players could be three, four or five weeks out, for Gary it is only a short period." Caldwell has made only four league appearances this season after missing the start of the campaign as a result of double hip surgery in the summer. A return for Saturday's bottom-three encounter at Upton Park would give the Latics a lift with Emmerson Boyce and James McCarthy out injured and Hugo Rodallega and Antolin Alcaraz suspended. McCarthy is on course to return towards the end of January after undergoing ankle surgery earlier this month. The 19-year-old Republic of Ireland international was injured in a tackle from Bolton's Fabrice Muamba in October. McCarthy said: "He is starting to put the weight on his ankle and he is progressing really well. "From next week he will probably be able to put 80% of the weight on it and from then on it is going to be a lot easier. "The surgery was a real success and everything up to this point has been as we expected, if not better. "He is a really fit boy and is looking after his body. He is going to get the rewards real soon."