Jol reveals Fulham ambition
Jol has been at the helm since the summer when he replaced Mark Hughes, who later cited a lack of ambition as reason for his departure.
The Welshman was this week appointed manager of QPR, with "ambition" the buzzword at Wednesday's unveiling.
Jol on Thursday denied Fulham's aspirations are behind that of their fellow west Londoners and thinks a bright future lies ahead for the Cottagers.
"Fulham played in a Europa League final [in 2010] and that is not easy to achieve," he said.
"We feel that we are pretty ambitions but, of course, if it is true what they say in the press, then QPR have a lot of money to spend.
"It is the same at all the other clubs with [rich] owners like Malaga, Man City and QPR.
"I think we are more steady. Of course we have been playing in the Barclays Premier League now for years so it is a different club.
"QPR came up from a lower league so they are quite ambitious.
"Our ambition is to be a very good club in the Barclays Premier League and hopefully in the next couple of years what I would say nicer things await and maybe we can win something.
"I feel we have got the talent to build on so we will be a good club."
While admitting his predecessor is a good appointment for the Rs, Jol was shocked by Neil Warnock's dismissal.
"I was surprised by the news," the Dutchman said.
"QPR came up last year and it was the same almost as with my mate Chris Hughton.
"He did well at Newcastle but they sacked him and they took Alan Pardew. It is probably a similar situation.
"QPR were an exciting team last year, scoring a lot of goals with a few players that gave them extra quality.
"Over the summer they added three or four good players, but of course it is not up to me."
QPR have been open in their quest for January reinforcements and last week had a bid rejected for Andrew Johnson while Warnock was still in charge.
The Rs have been joined in the hunt for the 30-year-old's signature by Blackburn, who it is understood have also since made a bid that Fulham consider too low.
With Johnson's contract due to expire in the summer, speculation over his future is rife, but Jol on Thursday reiterated his desire to keep the striker.
"Maybe (Hughes) will give me a call tomorrow, I don't know," Jol said of the speculation regarding Johnson.
"Up until now, there is not a lot of movement.
"There is always speculation in the paper and that will come back every day or every week. That is not my problem.
"I feel if people want to speculate about that maybe there is not a lot to write about. But there is not a lot of movement, I will tell you that. There is nothing going on at the moment."
Jol was also coy when asked about potential new signings, although he admitted an interest in an unnamed Football League striker.
The Dutchman last week named-checked Bristol City's Nicky Maynard, Doncaster forward Billy Sharp and Jordan Rhodes of Huddersfield, but refused to confirm whether they were of interest.
"We have got all the strikers and all the good players in all the divisions on our radar," he said.
"There is one striker from the lower leagues [we are interested in] and I don't even want to speculate on that because he is pretty expensive. I don't think there will be a deal there.
"There is one striker from the lower leagues and one player from France [Marseille's Andre-Pierre Gignac], but he is injured and I won't take players that are not fit.
"You can say all the names but I will not take players that are not fit.
"Of course something could happen, never say never, but at the moment there is not a lot of movement."
Asked whether the player of interest was one of the aforementioned trio, he added: "I will always be respectful so it could be."