Indonesian promoter seeking settlement with clubs
The promoter of an Indonesian preseason tournament says negotiations are under way for a possible financial settlement with Everton and Galatasaray after their withdrawal caused the event to be canceled.
Galatasaray and then Everton pulled out of the Java Cup earlier this week. Everton says a request for clarity and assurances on the organization and structure of the event didn't receive a response within its timeframe.
Corporate secretary Aris Mustafa of the promotion company Liga Prima Indonesia Sportindo said Thursday that initial plans to prosecute the clubs through the Court of Arbitration for Sport will depend on the negotiations.
The tournament had been scheduled to start Thursday in Jakarta. The other participants were set to be under-23 teams from Indonesia and Malaysia.