FA charge Everton boss Moyes

BY foxsports • September 13, 2010

Moyes was furious that, having seen his side dramatically pull level with two goals in injury-time after they had fallen 3-1 behind United, Atkinson then denied the Toffeemen the chance of a winner when he blew for full-time just as Phil Jagielka was about to fire at the visitors' goal. As it turned out, United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar saved the shot. But that did not appease Moyes or Round, who both raced on to the pitch at the final whistle to confront the match officials after Saturday's tussle at Goodison Park. Moyes said on Saturday: "The two goals were scored after 90 minutes and they'd put up three minutes of extra time. "He didn't get his time right because there was more time to add on for the goals and he played three minutes 30 seconds. "They had the corner kick and we had a great counter-attack and he blew up with the ball 25 yards from their goal. "It is a spectator sport with people coming to watch the game and not for him to be the main man and the one who wants to be seen making the decisions. "That was a terrible decision in my book." The FA have taken a dim view of Moyes' conduct and this afternoon confirmed the Everton manager faces sanction under the organisation's new disciplinary procedures. In a statement, the FA said today: "Everton manager David Moyes and assistant manager Steve Round have both been charged with improper conduct. "The charges relate to Moyes' and Round's conduct towards referee Martin Atkinson on the pitch following the final whistle at Everton's home match against Manchester United on September 11. "Under the FA's new fast-track procedures, Moyes and Round have until Thursday, September 16, to respond to the charges and have both been offered a standard sanction of an £8,000 fine should they accept the charge. "If either party denies the charge, the case will be heard by a regulatory commission within 10 working days." Earlier in the day, the FA announced Bolton defender Gary Cahill has appealed against the red card he received in Saturday's match against Arsenal. Cahill was dismissed for his foul from behind on Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh after 64 minutes of the Emirates Stadium clash. Arsenal, who led 2-1 at the time, went on to win the match 4-1. The appeal will be held by a regulatory commission tomorrow, the FA announced. Bolton manager Owen Coyle was disappointed by referee Stuart Attwell's decision to judge the foul as a sending-off offence, saying on Saturday: "I don't think it merited a red. "All of a sudden we were playing Arsenal with 10 men, and it is difficult at the best of times with 11. "We had put so much into the game that at that time we looked like the team who would get the equaliser."

share story