Celta holds Atletico in Copa

BY foxsports • January 22, 2010

Second-division Celta Vigo held Atletico Madrid to 1-1 in the first leg of the Copa del Rey quarterfinals on Thursday.

Celta, which eliminated Villarreal in the last round, jumped ahead at Vicente Calderon Stadium in the third minute when Roberto Trashorras slotted past goalkeeper David De Gea following an Atletico lapse.

Tiago equalized eight minutes later as the Portugal midfielder headed home a corner kick on his first start since a winter transfer from Juventus.

But Celta dominated after that and was unlucky not to take another away goal into next week's return leg.

Also, Gonzalo Colsa's and Papakouly Diop's second-half goals gave Racing Santander a 2-1 victory over Osasuna.

Atletico's defense was shaky from the opening whistle, continuously turning it over inside its own half to provide the visitors a number of breakouts, with Trashorras almost netting a second soon after Atletico equalized.

Sporting continued to exploit the space from quick counterattacks as Atletico's defense scrambled with Luis Perea clearing twice from inside the six-yard(meter) box before De Gea saved Iago Aspas' shot in the 57th.

De Gea also deflected Trashorras' free kick wide in the 62nd and denied Aspas' clear but poor effort five minutes later and the hosts hung on during a nervy finish.

At El Sardinero Stadium, Colsa's rocket of a shot from outside the area flew undisturbed into the left side of goal with screened goalkeeper Roberto Fernandez watching flat-footed in the 63rd minute.

Substitute Diop stepped up to the same spot to curl a right-footed shot inside the opposite post in the 84th.

But moments after saving Albert Camunas' point-blank header along the goal-line, goalkeeper Mario Fernandez couldn't reach Walter Pandiani's low curler in the 89th as Osasuna took a valuable away goal into next week's return leg.

The early chances favored the hosts as Sergio Canales led the early rushes although his tight-angled shot flew into the side netting in the sixth minute.

Osasuna had fewer chances in the first half but better ones with strikers Jorge Galan and Dady both unable to convert from inside the area.

Pedro Munitis and Francisco Jimenez both came close before Colsa opened the scoring with his long-range shot.

The 18-year-old Canales was unable to make it three straight games with goals as he came off for Diop four minutes after the goal. Clubs from across Europe are vying for Canales' signature.

In Wednesday's first-leg games, Sevilla won 3-0 at Deportivo La Coruna and Getafe was a 2-1 winner at Mallorca.

share story