Capello considers Gerrard call

BY foxsports • October 2, 2011

Gerrard made his second league appearance of the season as he came on as a second-half substitute in Liverpool's 2-0 win at Everton. Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is anxious for Gerrard, who has played just over 45-minutes of football so far this term, not to be rushed and the player himself has said he doubts he would be ready for England's clash with Montenegro next week. After the Everton match Dalglish said: "It was another step forward for Steven, coming on in a derby and getting a few more minutes under his belt. "I think Steve aired his views and I don't think I need to add anything to that. As regards any reaction (to the groin) after the game, there was nothing whatsoever." But Capello - who was at Goodison Park on Saturday, says he will be involved for their Euro 2012 qualifier with Montenegro if he is deemed fit. "I want to speak with Steve. If he decides: 'Yes, I can', he will be with us. If he says he can't, he will stay at home," said Capello. Capello is looking at Gerrard as he is already missing a number of players including Jack Wilshere, Tom Cleverley and Michael Carrick. "We have big problems with the midfielders," he said. "Some players can stay on the bench, or come on at half-time, but not play all the game. For this reason we need to be careful in every moment." Meanwhile, Capello remains hopeful that Wilshere's recent ankle injury will not rule him out of the Euro 2012 finals next summer. "It is an important time for England and Arsenal, and I hope Jack will be fit soon, because this is a really strong operation," he said. "If the operation is okay he will be fit in March and that would be fine for the Euros. He would be fresh. But the operation is not a simple one."


share story