Adebayor set for Togo return in WCup qualifier
Emmanuel Adebayor is in line for an international return with Togo after its federation agreed Monday to his demands for the better treatment of players.
Federation spokesman Agbovie Papavi Patatu said officials had ''unanimously agreed with all the points'' raised by the Tottenham forward at a series of meetings in Ghana, opening the way for his comeback in Tuesday's home World Cup qualifier against Guinea-Bissau.
Adebayor said his return for Togo was ''now definite'' after officials agreed to the demands, which include the federation paying promptly for air tickets for players to travel for games.
Adebayor retired from international football in 2010 following a deadly gun attack on Togo's team bus as it traveled by road to the African Cup of Nations in Angola.
The 27-year-old Adebayor was cheered Monday by a crowd of supporters at the Ghana-Togo border as he traveled to the Togolese capital Lome following the meetings in Accra.
''I am going to show my face in Togolese football. I am back home and I have to act as professionally as possible. Look at the big crowds that have come to welcome me ... I cannot let them down,'' Adebayor said.
The striker rejoins a struggling Togo team, which has slumped since qualifying for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
It failed to qualify for last year's edition in South Africa, withdrew from the 2010 African Cup following the attack in the Angolan enclave of Cabinda and recently missed out on a place at next year's event in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea in Adebayor's absence.
Togo drew 0-0 at Guinea-Bissau last week in the first leg of the first round of African qualifying for the 2014 World Cup.