Packers training camp report: Aug. 13
Wednesday, August 13, 2014
11:45 a.m. (Total: 2 hours, 4 minutes)
Movin' On Up:
Safety Sean Richardson
One week after head coach Mike McCarthy singled out Sean Richardson for his stellar play to that point in training camp, the third-year safety once again stood out in Wednesday's practice.
Richardson grabbed his third interception of training camp (an unofficial team-high) when he stepped in front of a Scott Tolzien pass that was intended for Alex Gillett. Given the positioning on the field, Richardson likely would've returned it for a touchdown.
At this point, Richardson has become a lock to make the 53-man active roster. The question now for him, though, in a reloaded safety group, how much regular-season action does he get? Richardson has done everything possible through 13 training camp practices to earn significant playing time this year.
So You Had A Bad Day:
Kicker Mason Crosby
Overall, it's been a fantastic training camp for Mason Crosby. Missing only two field-goal attempts in more than 30 tries prior to Wednesday was a pace that would be difficult to keep up forever.
But, given Crosby's success so far, it was surprising to see him be off the mark Wednesday. In his six field-goal attempts (one of which was the experimental 33-yard extra point try), Crosby missed twice. He was wide right from 42 yards and then was no good from 53 yards out.
Honorable Mention: Quarterback Matt Flynn was not on top of his game Wednesday, either. He threw a wild pass over the head of Chris Harper for what should've been a touchdown. On the next play, Flynn couldn't connect with Harper on the corner of the end zone. The Flynn-to-Harper struggle continued later on a misfired slant pass in the end zone that fell incomplete. Flynn's bad day was compounded by what could've been an injury situation. After taking a snap, Flynn stumbled back (it wasn't clear if his leg hit another player's or if he just fell) and was slow to get up. Flynn appeared to be OK after a while, but it could've been worse.
- This was by far the Packers' most aggressive practice in training camp. These weren't little dust-ups; there were a couple sideline-clearing brawls. It started with Josh Sitton and Jamari Lattimore in what was a not-very-teammate-like fight. Even offensive line coach James Campen and linebackers coach Winston Moss screamed at each other from close range. Some of it was what McCarthy was looking for, but even he admitted that emotions got in the way of good play on a couple instances.
- After the Sitton-Lattimore clash, it took so long for players to separate that the Packers took an unplanned TV timeout/regeneration period. It cooled tempers down temporarily, but they soon boiled back up.
- Jordy Nelson once again participated in practice, but he mainly took only the first snap of each team drill and then bowed out. Nelson did have a catch from Aaron Rodgers on the first play of the pass under pressure drill in the red zone.
- Tramon Williams will face much stiffer competition in the regular season, but the veteran cornerback jumped a pass from Chase Rettig that was intended for Alex Gillett at the goal line and picked it off.
- The kick returners were DuJuan Harris, Jeff Janis, Micah Hyde and Ladarius Perkins.
- Janis continued his stretch of noteworthy catches by diving and hauling in a pass near the sideline from Tolzien.
- Davante Adams showed no signs of an injured wrist when he caught a pass from Rodgers on a crossing route during a move the ball period.
- Undrafted rookie outside linebacker Adrian Hubbard was playing scout team defense when he intercepted a Tolzien pass.
- The punt returners were Hyde, Williams and Randall Cobb. After his two-fumble preseason debut, Adams has not taken any punts in practice this week.
* LB Brad Jones (Dental procedure -- First missed practice)
* RB Rajion Neal (Knee -- Consecutive Missed Practices: 3)
* WR Davante Adams (Wrist -- Returned after missing two practices)
* WR Jordy Nelson (Hamstring -- Participated in light work for second consecutive practice)
* Saturday, August 16 - Preseason Game No. 2 (at St. Louis - 3:00 p.m.)
* Monday, August 18 - Training Camp Practice No. 14 (Noon)
Follow Paul Imig on Twitter