NBA cancels summer league

BY foxsports • April 13, 2011

Reports that the NBA lockout is inevitable are only hurting the Cavaliers.

Two sources told FOX Sports Ohio that the NBA has canceled its Las Vegas summer league, which typically begins in early July and features rookies and undrafted free agents from about 20 teams.

Summer league also gives teams an early opportunity to look at and coach their first-round draft picks, as well as players who weren’t drafted at all. For instance, the Cavs discovered both Samardo Samuels and Manny Harris in last year’s summer league. Neither was drafted, but both have been contributing members of the team.

Also, the Cavs own two lottery picks in this summer’s draft. With no summer league, the front office and coaching staff will have to wait until training camp (whenever that might be) to instruct and workout any and all players.

Along with draft picks and other free agents, the list of Cavs who likely would have participated in Vegas includes Samuels, Harris, Semih Erden, Luke Harangody, Christian Eyenga, Alonzo Gee and perhaps even J.J. Hickson.

The New York Daily News first reported the story. In addition, it wrote that because of the potential lockout, “the NBA is also not sending any teams abroad for training camp, and did not schedule any preseason games in Europe for this fall.”

Daily News pro basketball columnist Mitch Lawrence also reported the NBA has canceled its summer intern program.

The league’s collective-bargaining agreement expires July 1. If no agreement is reached between owners and players, the league will be in shutdown mode and no moves can be made.

When asked by FOX Sports Ohio how long a lockout might last, one NBA team executive couldn't predict. "I honestly have no feel for it whatsoever," the executive said.


share story