Miami edges Georgia Tech in overtime

BY foxsports • September 22, 2012

ATLANTA (AP) -- Mike James scored untouched on a 25-yard run,
moments after Miami stopped Georgia Tech quarterback Tevin Washington on
fourth-and-inches on the first possession of overtime, giving the
Hurricanes a wild 42-36 win Saturday.

Junior quarterback Stephen Morris passed
for 436 yards and rallied the Hurricanes (3-1, 2-0 Atlantic Coast
Conference) from a 36-19 deficit.

Georgia Tech (2-2, 1-2) had come back
after trailing 19-0 at the end of the first quarter, with Washington
rushing for three touchdowns.

But the Yellow Jackets couldn't slow
down Morris or Miami after that, as the Hurricanes scored the final 23
points. Morris' 10-yard touchdown pass to James created a 36-all tie
with 27 seconds left in regulation. That capped an eight-play, 91-yard
march that took just 1:33.

Georgia Tech also lost its season opener
in overtime, at Virginia Tech, and has fallen to the Hurricanes four
consecutive years after beating Miami four straight times.

After being limited to 39 yards in the
first quarter, big plays flipped the momentum in the second quarter for
the Yellow Jackets, whose four plays of 70 or more yards in their first
three games led the Football Bowl Subdivision.

A 57-yard catch and run by Tech's Tony
Zenon was the key on the Jackets' 91-yard drive to open the second
quarter. Orwin Smith soon swept 8 yards right for Tech's first score.

On Miami's next play, Tech linebacker
Brandon Watts forced wide receiver Phillip Dorsett to fumble, and fellow
linebacker Jabari Hunt-Days recovered at the Tech 43-yard line.

A 37-yard carry by Georgia Tech running
back Robbie Godhigh helped set up a 2-yard scoring run by Washington to
pull the Yellow Jackets within 19-14.

Minutes later, Jamal Golden's 56-yard
punt return put the Yellow Jackets at Miami's 23, and they took the lead
with a 10-yard run by Washington.

Tech added a two-point conversion on a
pass from Washington to Zenon, although it took video review to reverse
the original call. The Yellow Jackets led 22-19 with 3:39 left in the
first half, their first lead over Miami dating back to the first quarter
of their 2009 game.

The first quarter was as ugly for Tech as the second was pretty.

Morris found Dorsett wide open for a
65-yard touchdown pass on the game's third play, and Dorsett added a
40-yard reception a few minutes later. That led to Jake Wieclaw's
38-yard field goal and a 10-0 Miami lead.

Matters quickly worsened for the Jackets.

Smith fielded the kickoff about a yard
deep in the end zone. He hesitated, then started to bring the ball out,
changed his mind and put a hand down on the field side of the goal line
to stop himself. After he stepped back and took a knee, officials ruled
it a safety since Smith had first advanced the ball across the goal

The Hurricanes ran 10 plays after
taking the free kick before James' 1-yard touchdown run and Wieclaw's
extra point gave Miami a 19-0 lead as the first period ended. Morris
completed 10 of 14 passes for 153 yards in the quarter.

share story