Henriques drafted in as injury cover for Australia

BY foxsports • October 27, 2009

Australia has drafted New South Wales allrounder Moises Henriques into the national squad as cover for injured Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson and James Hopes just one match into a seven-match limited-overs international series in India. Australia won the opening match in the last over on Sunday, but has a serious lack of bowling depth ahead of the second match after pacemen Lee and Johnson and allrounder Hopes were sidelined with niggling injuries. Chief selector Andrew Hilditch said while Lee (right elbow) and Johnson (left ankle) had responded well to treatment, they had not recovered enough to play at Nagpur on Wednesday. Hopes had already been ruled out for at least two matches with a right hamstring strain. "Given the most significant injury appears to be Hopes' hamstring we have taken this opportunity to add Moises Henriques to the squad until the completion of game four in Mohali, where we will again assess the situation before it is decided if he remains with the squad," Hilditch said in a statement. "While the injury situation is disappointing it does provide an opportunity for Moises to join the Australian squad and become familiar in this environment." Hilditch said Henriques had performed well for Australia A and for New South Wales during its winning campaign in the inaugural Champions League Twenty20 tournament in India. "We view him as an exciting young allrounder who will be looking to make the most of this opportunity in India," he said. Henriques will arrive in New Delhi on Wednesday and join up with the top-ranked Australia squad the following day. The 22-year-old Henriques, who was born in Portugal before migrating with his family to Australia when he was one, had just returned to Sydney from India when he discovered he was heading back to the subcontinent. "Having played a bit of limited-overs cricket, having done OK in the tournament, I guess it is a bit of recognition and I'm just stoked to be there and on the radar," Henriques told the Australian Associated Press. Henriques, who was run out for one and didn't bowl in a February T20 international against New Zealand - his only appearance for Australia's top team - took 10 wickets in the Champions League tournament in India, which featured the leading provincial teams from Australia, West Indies, England, India, Sri Lanka and South Africa.


share story