Billikens travel to Pittsburgh to face Duquesne
SETTING THE SCENE
Saint Louis (12-5, 1-2 A-10) looks to snap a season-long two-game skid when it visits Duquesne (7-11, 0-4 A-10) Wednesday, Jan. 23. Game time at the Palumbo Center is scheduled for 6 p.m. (CT).
LAST TIME OUT
• Kwamain Mitchell scored a game-high and team-season-high 29 points and Cody Ellis tallied a career-high 21, but Rhode Island rallied late in overtime and defeated Saint Louis 82-80 last Saturday at Chaifetz Arena.
• Mitchell made a career-high seven 3-pointers (7-of-10), tying for second on the Billikens' all-time single-game list. He added a game- and season-high seven assists and a game- and career-high six steals.
• Ellis' 6-of-9 shooting performance included a 4-of-6 effort from 3-point range. He also was 5-of-6 from the foul line.
• Saint Louis missed a 3-point try but forced a turnover to earn a final attempt to win in regulation. The Billikens were unsuccessful, however, and the game went to overtime tied at 65.
• Rhode Island, who was led by Xavier Munford's 24 points, was a perfect 10-for-10 from the free-throw line in overtime.
• Saint Louis has lost two games in a row for the first time this season. The Bills dropped a 10-point decision at Temple Jan. 12, then fell in overtime at home against URI Jan. 19.
• The Bills lead the A-10 in scoring defense, yielding 57.5 ppg. SLU allowed 46 or fewer points in four straight games recently, the best defensive streak by SLU since 1949-50. In the A-10 opener, the Billikens held UMass to 10 points below its average, and the 62 points tied the Minutemen's lowest scoring output of the year.
• Saint Louis features a balanced scoring attack, with seven players averaging 7.0 points or more per game. Four Billikens average double figures in scoring.
• Junior guard Mike McCall Jr. leads the Billikens in scoring with 11.2 ppg. He tops the team and is third in the A-10 in 3-point field goal percentage (.462, 30-65).
• Senior forward Cody Ellis is second on the squad in scoring (10.9 ppg) and hits 90.3 percent from the free-throw line to rank second in the A-10.
• Senior guard Kwamain Mitchell recorded 29 points against Rhode Island to lift his scoring average to 10.7 ppg, which is third on the Billikens.
• Junior forward Dwayne Evans leads the team and is 12th in the A-10 in rebounding (6.5 rpg). He scores 10.1 ppg to rank fourth on the Bills.
• Junior guard Jordair Jett averages 8.6 ppg and leads the team in assists and steals.
• Senior forward Cory Remekun leads the A-10 in shooting percentage (.625) from the floor.
• Junior forward Rob Loe averages 7.5 ppg. He scored a career-high 20 points against UMass earlier this year.
• SLU shoots 44.7 percent (382-854) from the floor, 36.9 percent (111-301) from 3-point range and 72.0 percent (252-350) from the line.
• Next up, the Billikens travel to Olean, N.Y., for a tilt vs. St. Bonaventure Saturday, Jan. 26. The game will be televised on FOX Sports Midwest and tips at 3 p.m. (CT).
• Duquesne University enters Wednesday's game with a 7-11 overall record and an 0-4 mark in Atlantic 10 Conference play.
• The Dukes have lost six in a row, including a 90-63 loss to VCU Jan. 19 in Pittsburgh.
• Senior guard Sean Johnson leads the team and is 14th in the A-10 with 12.8 ppg, while freshman guard Derek Colter averages 13.4 ppg while dishing out a team-leading 90 assits. Colter has also buried a team-best 31 3-pointers.
• Senior forward/center Andre Marhold pulls down 5.8 rpg. Junior guard/forward Jerry Jones leads the team with 21 steals.
• Jim Ferry is in his first season at Duquesne after spending the last 10 seasons at LIU Brooklyn, where he led the Blackbirds to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments. He also coached at Adelphi (1999-2002) and Plymouth State (1998-99). His 15-year career coaching record is 261-179.
Saint Louis leads the all-time series 8-7. The Billikens have won three in a row and five of the last six. Last season, Dwayne Evans scored 20 points to lead the BIllikens to a 75-60 win at the Palumbo Center. The last SLU loss in the series came during the 2010-11 season, a 67-45 loss at the Palumbo Center.
• SLU recently announced some upcoming promotions. The
annual "Billiken Blizzard" is scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 31, against
Butler. All in attendance receive a "Billiken Blizzard" white T-shirt,
courtesy of Pepsi and Edward Jones. The annual "Billiken Blue Out" will
take place Tuesday, Feb. 19, versus VCU.
• Chaifetz Arena offers
special "happy hour" deals for fans arriving early to games. From the
opening of doors (two hours before tip) until 30 minutes before game
time, fans can take advantage of $2 nachos and $2 beers.