Utah 30, Washington St. 27, OT

BY foxsports • November 20, 2011

Coleman Petersen kicked a 38-yard field goal in the first overtime as Utah beat Washington State 30-27 on a snowy Saturday.

Washington State (4-7, 2-6 Pac-12) got the first possession of overtime, and quarterback Connor Halliday was intercepted by Mo Lee, his second of the game.

Utah (7-4, 4-4) took over and John White ran three times for a total of 4 yards. Then Petersen came in and kicked the winning field goal for the Utes' fourth consecutive victory.

The temperature was 27 at kickoff, with mild winds and snowfall, making it difficult for both teams to gain yards on offense.

The loss ended Washington State's hopes of becoming bowl eligible for the first time since 2006.

White rushed for 186 yards as Utah remained alive in the race for the Pac-12 South title.

The Utes are 7-0 in games where White has rushed for 100 yards or more. He leads the Pac-12 with 16 total touchdowns.

Halliday, who came off the bench to throw for 494 yards and four touchdowns in the Cougars' upset of Arizona State last weekend, completed 21 of 48 passes for 290 yards but was intercepted four times.

The game was scoreless until Utah tried a fake punt, with Sean Sellwood instead firing a 49-yard touchdown pass to Luke Matthews, who weaved into the end zone with 1:47 left in the first half.

Washington State replied with its best drive of the half, covering 77 yards and ending when Halliday hit Marquess Wilson for a 6-yard touchdown pass to tie the score at 7 at halftime.

Snow started to pour down as the second half started, obscuring the yardage numbers on the field.

Utah fumbled on its second possession and C.J. Mizell recovered for WSU on the Utes' 24. The Cougars drove to the 3, but had to settle for Andrew Furney's 20-yard field goal and a 10-7 lead.

Utah replied with a crisp drive that ended with Petersen's 33-yard field goal that tied the score at 10.

After a WSU punt, Utah mounted another drive, highlighted by a 43-yard pass from Jon Hays to DeVonte Christopher. Petersen's 45-yard field goal gave Utah a 13-10 lead early in the fourth.

Utah punted, but Leon Brooks muffed the catch and Utah's Patrick Greene recovered on WSU's 37. White pounded it into the end zone from the 3 for a 20-10 Utah lead with 7:15 left.

Washington State replied on its first play from scrimmage, a reverse in which receiver Kristoff Williams fired a 47-yard touchdown pass to Bobby Ratliff to cut Utah's lead to 20-17 with 6:56 left.

Utah came right back on its first play, as White ran 56 yards down the left sideline for a touchdown and a 27-17 Utah lead.

Washington State replied with a 74-yard drive that ended on a 9-yard touchdown pass from Halliday to Jared Karstetter, cutting Utah's lead to 27-24 with 3:14 left.

Utah had to punt and WSU got a final chance with 52 seconds left and no time-outs, from its own 26. Halliday threw completions of 23 and 43 yards to Karstetter and Furney kicked an 17-yard field goal with 3 seconds left to send the game into overtime.

share story