Prosecutor: LSU student doesn't want Tiger players charged
The student in an alleged on-campus apartment break-in involving LSU quarterback Anthony Jennings and two teammates has asked prosecutors not to press charges, East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore said Wednesday.
Jennings, LSU safety Dwayne Thomas and defensive lineman Maqeudius Bain were arrested by LSU police in June and booked with unauthorized entry of inhabited dwelling. The players have said they sought to retrieve items that had been stolen from Jennings. Thomas also was booked with simple burglary.
The players have been suspended indefinitely, but coach Les Miles has expressed optimism they'll be reinstated when the case is resolved.
The student's current preference to drop the case carries weight, but Moore said he still wants to review transcripts of what the student initially told police.
''Whether (the players) broke into the apartment or not is the question. Whether they were invited in is the question,'' Moore said. ''I want to know what (the student) said initially. What he's saying now is that he never told them they weren't invited in the room.''
The prosecutor added that the case could be resolved within a week.
''I want to be able to explain it properly, to say, `This is what I found out,' and put it to rest,'' Moore added.
Jennings started 12 of LSU's 13 games last season, completing 49 percent of his passes for 1,611 yards and 11 scores against just seven interceptions.
Thomas played in five games last season before his season was cut short by a knee injury. He was in on 27 tackles and recovered a fumble. This season, he is expected to be a regular in the defensive backfield.
Bain, a reserve last season, appeared in 10 games and was credited with six tackles and a pass break up.