Khan withdraws appeal against loss

BY foxsports • January 17, 2012

The hearing into boxer Amir Khan's controversial loss to Lamont Peterson was canceled Tuesday after Khan's promoter withdrew its appeal, Sky Sports reported.

Just one day before the hearing was scheduled to start, the International Boxing Federation (IBF) announced the British fighter's team, Golden Boy Promotions, had changed its mind without giving a reason.

"The hearing that was scheduled for tomorrow [Wednesday] has been canceled," IBF public relations director Jeanette Salazar said in a statement. "We have not received any further information on this decision by Golden Boy Promotions."

It was not immediately clear why the appeal was rescinded.

Khan had flown to the US on Tuesday in anticipation of his hearing in New York along with his father Shah and business manager Asif Vali, even posting messages to fans on social network sites.

"(En) route to New york, for the ibf hearing," Kahn wrote on Facebook. "Let's see what the mystery man has to say!"

Khan later posted on Twitter, "Landed safe and sound to New York. 20 minutes through customs, wow never been so quick."

Khan lost a split decision — as well as his World Boxing Association (WBA) and IBF light-welterweight titles — to Peterson in December.

However, the fight was mired in controversy with Khan docked two points by referee Joe Cooper for pushing, while a "mystery man" — later identified to be Mustafa Ameen — was seen at ringside appearing to handle the scorecards.

Khan also claimed he was told he had won the fight only for Peterson to be awarded the decision after a long wait for the result.

Golden Boy Promotions appealed the decision to both the WBA and IBF, wanting the bout to be declared a "no-contest" and for a rematch to be ordered.

The WBA made the first move last week, agreeing to a rematch, while the IBF — to whom Ameen is affiliated — was expected to make a decision this week.

Read more
 


share story