Holyfield postpones Nielsen fight

BY foxsports • February 3, 2011

Former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield has postponed his bout with Denmark's Brian Nielsen.

Promoter Kalle Sauerland said Thursday the March 5 fight has been moved back to May 7 to allow Holyfield more time to recover from injury.

The 48-year-old Holyfield (43-10-2) was cut above the left eye by an accidental head butt during his fight last month with Sherman Williams. The bout was ruled a no-contest.

In a statement released Thursday by Sauerland, Holyfield said he ''could not do sparring until the end of the month,'' following medical advice.

''I will not enter the ring against a determined opponent like Nielsen when I am not 100 percent prepared,'' Holyfield said. ''I need a convincing victory to put myself back in line for another shot at the world title, so I will give the cut enough time to heal before resuming practice.''

Sauerland, who is Nielsen's promoter, said he and the Danish fighter fully understood Holyfield's decision.

''Always look on the bright side of life,'' Nielsen said in the statement. ''The more training I get, the stronger I will become.''

The Dane vowed Holyfield will get ''a nice souvenir from his trip to Copenhagen. I will cut his other eye, too. He will be good friends with the doctor he has been seeing.''

Nielsen, 45, retired in 2003 after an 11-year pro career that included a loss to Mike Tyson in 2001. Nielsen has a record of 64-2, with 43 knockouts.

The venue for the May 7 fight will remain the same concert hall in Copenhagen, Sauerland said.


share story