Wigan v Blackburn reaction

BY foxsports • November 19, 2011

The Latics looked to be heading for three priceless points after Albert Crusat's 88th-minute strike before Ayegbeni Yakubu equalised with a penalty eight minutes into injury time. But Martinez preferred to focus on Blackburn's second goal on the hour, which dragged the visitors back level at 2-2 despite having David Dunn sent off. Yakubu placed the ball for Morten Gamst Pedersen but did not appear to touch it before Pedersen dribbled towards the box and crossed for Junior Hoilett to bundle home. Martinez said: "If I am going to be honest about it I am going to get into trouble and it is going to cost me a lot of money. But it seems too easy to get these decisions wrong. "We are a small voice in the competition and we played like a real giant in the competition in the manner in which we coped with the pressure of getting a result. "The decision is hard to take and hard to explain. It didn't seem to me that he (Yakubu) touched the ball, so how he (the referee) could allow that is really hurtful. "The players don't know why it was allowed. It's my fault because I ask the players not to complain or get in trouble with dissent or dive - and it's costing us points. "I don't want to sound bitter. But I'm sure if that had happened at Anfield they would have been talking about it for three weeks. I'm sure today after 20 minutes it will all be forgotten." Martinez was less concerned with the last-minute penalty which referee Andre Marriner awarded after David Jones' high kick caught Rovers keeper Paul Robinson - up for a late corner - in the face. He added: "It is clear David catches Paul Robinson's head. I can understand why he gave a penalty but I don't know why he allowed the corner when it was 20 seconds over the six minutes (added time). "It is frustrating because you feel that being Wigan you have to do something extra to win a football game. But I am not going to blame the referee apart from blaming the second goal." Rovers boss Steve Kean - who denied knowledge of the departure of the club's Indian owners at half-time - hailed his side's fighting spirit after Dunn's dismissal. Kean said: "Once we went down to 10 men I thought the lads were excellent. We've had a lot of last minute things, so to go so well in the second half I think we deserved it." Referring to Hoilett's controversial strike, Kean said: "I don't know if he (Yakubu) touched it or rolled it, but maybe the referee thought he'd got a full circumference of the ball." Kean also revealed keeper Robinson required stitches in a head wound following his late heroics, which made up for his side's recent history of losing points in the last minute. Kean added: "We've had a lot of things go against us in the last minute and I think the referee was justified. The lad's foot was maybe five feet in the air. "I asked the staff how long there was to go and they said 50 seconds. It's always difficult for an opposition defence when the keeper goes up there because everyone is marking man for man." Asked about the fans who sporadically chanted for his dismissal, Kean added: "I think they will have seen today that we don't give up - we keep going whatever is thrown in our way."

share story