We'll spend wisely - Dalglish
Owners Fenway Sports Group are preparing for their first extended transfer window, having only bought the club last October. Having sold Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel to Chelsea and Hoffenheim respectively, the Americans sanctioned the use of the £56million income to buy club record signings Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez for a combined £57.8million. Now Dalglish has been confirmed as permanent manager, it is natural FSG will want to back the club icon as he looks to build on the success he has enjoyed since taking control of the team in January. Liverpool have been linked with a whole host of players but, while there will be changes to the squad, the Reds boss has no desire to spend for the sake of it. "Whether it si massively or cheaply, it doesn't make any difference as long as you spend well," said the 60-year-old, whose side can secure fifth place and Europa League football with a win over Tottenham at Anfield on Sunday. "Budgets are all very well and good but it doesn't guarantee you anything. "But as long as your players are playing well you have a chance. "Like every other club there will be movement in and out and I am sure there will be plenty of speculation - some we might even recognise the names of. "We will be doing business but the better we do the business the more successful we will be." Director of football Damien Comolli is in charge of finding the players to bolster Dalglish's playing staff but he, like the manager, has been impressed by how the current squad have responded to the Scot's methods despite criticism earlier in the season they did not have enough quality. "Players going out, coming in is the game but I think we have to respect what the current players have done this season and they have done tremendously since January," said the Frenchman. "If you take the points average per game since January we are second in the league and that is a fantastic turnaround. "There are two massive games we need to play and we need to focus on those rather than talk about who is going to come in and who is going to go out - that is for later. "We know where we are going but we absolutely concentrate on this season." Comolli was responsible for conducting the negotiations which brought Carroll and Suarez to Anfield but he said the way the top-level management structure operated pointed to further success. And the development of players from the academy, with the likes of teenagers John Flanagan and Jack Robinson being given their chance by Dalglish, was an unexpected positive so early in FSG's reign. "Since Kenny came in we have shown to ourselves and the outside world that the four of us - I include the two owners (John Henry and Tom Werner) - work very well together when it is crunch time and big decision time. "That is what we did in January and I think we enjoyed that moment - all the decisions we made in January have started to pay off and hopefully it will pay off in the long term as well. "Coming back to the young players, it is an absolutely fantastic motivation for everyone involved at the academy that we have three to four - five sometimes - who are coming from the academy. "That is a very strong statement and just that unified the club massively." Dalglish agreed, adding: "The young lads have been fantastic coming and training with us and that is really rewarding. "For us it is refreshing to see young players coming through and the first-team players enjoy seeing them come through. In a strange way it gives them a lift. "The boys in general have been fantastic, especially recently, but we are not going to shout our mouth off about that. "We will just go about our job, go about preparation for the Tottenham game which is the most important thing." Carroll could make a return to the squad tomorrow, having missed two of the last three matches with a knee injury, but is likely to have to settle for a place on the bench.