Hoffenheim are not willing to let Stoke take Demba Ba on loan but will continue negotations with the Potters over the Senegal striker.
Stoke had been hoping to finalise a deal for Ba over the weekend after agreeing a fee with Hoffenheim and settling on personal terms with the Senegal international.
However, Ba failed a medical and Tony Pulis expressed his disappointment at the deal falling through following Saturday's win over Bolton Wanderers.
The Premier League side have enquired about taking Ba on loan but Hoffenheim are not keen on that proposal.
"The Stoke manager is desperate to land Demba Ba," Hoffenheim's general manager Ernst Tanner told the Heilbronner Stimme newspaper.
"The failed medical by Demba appears to me just an element of show in the whole transfer saga.
"Stoke are so keen on Demba that they have now come up with a proposal to sign Demba Ba on loan.
"This is certainly nothing we are going to agree to, but we will keep staying in touch with Stoke City though.
"It's a fact that we had everything done with Stoke regarding a transfer before Demba Ba failed to get through that medical."
Tanner added: "We are certain in our viewpoint that Demba Ba is not going to play for us anymore and we will be sitting down on Monday to discuss which strategy will be pursued by Hoffenheim 1899 in the forthcoming aspects of this affair."
Pulis had said regarding the deal on Saturday: "It is important to stress it fell through because of a problem with one of his legs.
"If our club doctor has said it's going to take three, four or five months to settle down, I don't see any point doing a deal.
"But if it's weeks, who knows? It might be right to do it."