Rennes grab draw vs. Montpellier

BY foxsports • September 25, 2013

Rennes failed to make inroads into the leading pack at the top of Ligue 1 after they were held 0-0 by Montpellier.

Victory would have taken them level on points with third-placed Marseille but they could not break the deadlock and instead inched up to fifth, five points behind leaders Monaco. It was their third draw in four games while for their visitors it was a fourth successive stalemate as they rose to 13th.

However, it was all Montpellier with Souleymane Camara hitting the post and Remy Cabella skimming the bar with a free-kick. Joris Marveaux released Cabella whose snap-shot was cleared by Sylvain Armand only for the ball to bounce to Anthony Mounier whose close-range shot went just over the bar.

Djamel Bakar then freed Cabella inside the area and his powerful cross-shot drew an excellent reflex save from Benoit Costil. The visitors were dominating with Rennes producing nothing in attack with Morgan Sanson then setting off on a 30-yard run before unleashing a powerful left-footed shot which flew inches wide.

Cabella was heavily involved, racing through the middle before sending a fierce effort just wide as Rennes staggered towards half-time. Rennes were then grateful to Costil two minutes after the break when he had to go full stretch to his right to keep out Victor Hugo Montano's low shot.

Finally, after 54 minutes Rennes had a shot. Julien Feret's free-kick from the edge of the penalty area found Armand whose curling left-footed effort went inches over the bar. However, normal service was resumed with Montpellier continuing to pile on the pressure.

Costil saved from Bakar's fierce effort and the keeper then made amends for his own mistake when he kicked the ball straight at Marveaux who forged into the box and unleashed a low shot which Costil thwarted. Camara was inches away from giving Montpellier the lead only for the ball to hit the base of the post before Cabella's free-kick skimmed the top of the bar on the way out.

However, Rennes almost got a last-minute winner when Geoffrey Jourdren required two attempts to hold on to Nelson Oliviera's shot.

share story