Lennon rues three that got away

BY foxsports • February 2, 2011

Last week the Bhoys agreed a cut-price fee to sign Derby forward Kris Commons, who was out of contract in the summer, and on deadline day they failed in a similar bid for Forest defender Wilson. Stoke also pulled the plug on a move for defender Faye while an unnamed target was seconds away from becoming a Celtic player. Lennon is now relieved the transfer window is closed and he can concentrate on his existing squad. "I have got to say it was a huge distraction on Monday because we worked very hard throughout the day and night to try to bring players in," he told the Evening Times. "We got knocked back by Forest on Kelvin Wilson and also Abdoulaye Faye because Stoke could not do a deal at the other end. "Then there was another player late on Monday night who I would not want to name, to be fair to the lad involved. We were very, very close to doing that deal as well. "I literally mean it was a minute to 11 that we got the forms through, but we got knocked back by the other team because they could not get the man they wanted, so we had to cancel the forms." Lennon was disappointed not to bolster his defence, with full-backs Mark Wilson and Charlie Mulgrew having to fill in at central defence during Tuesday night's 3-0 win at 10-man Aberdeen. The Celtic boss insists he and chief executive Peter Lawwell did all they could to get a new face in, but Lennon stressed his injury worries are set to subside. "It wasn't down to the club," he said. "Peter and myself worked tirelessly to try to do something. "We have a bit of cover coming back with Georgios Samaras training again, along with Daniel Majstorovic and Glenn Loovens," Lennon added. "Ki Sung-Yueng and Cha Du-Ri are also back from the Asian Cup and in contention for Sunday's Scottish Cup game at Ibrox."


share story