German Bundesliga Roundup, Aug. 21

August 21, 2010

Ruud van Nistelrooy scored twice to give Hamburger SV a winning start to its Bundesliga campaign with a 2-1 victory over 10-man Schalke on Saturday.

Hamburg joined five other teams on three points after the opening round.

In other matches, Hoffenheim rallied to beat Werder Bremen 4-1 and promoted teams St. Pauli and Kaiserslautern also came from behind to win on the road.

St. Pauli scored three times in the last 10 minutes to win 3-1 in Freiburg, and Kaiserslautern won by the same score at 10-man FC Cologne.

Hannover edged Eintracht Frankfurt 2-1. Defending champion Bayern beat Wolfsburg 2-1 on Friday.

Van Nistelrooy scored with a spectacular volley shortly after the break in the 46th minute as Hamburg dominated the game, especially after the ejection of Schalke defender Benedikt Howedes in the 60th for his second booking.

But Jefferson Farfan pulled one back for Schalke, last season's runner-up, in the 80th before Van Nistelrooy secured the victory three minutes later.

At Hoffenheim, Werder went ahead after three minutes when captain Torsten Frings converted a penalty. But Werder collapsed quickly and conceded four goals before halftime, not an encouraging sign before the second leg off its Champions League qualifying match against Sampdoria Genoa next week. Werder won the first leg at home 3-1.

Demba Ba, newcomer Peniel Mlapa, Vedad Ibisevic and Sejad Salihovic used some sloppy defending by Werder to score before the break and Hoffenheim eased up in the second half.

Before the match, Hoffenheim coach Ralf Rangnick confirmed that Carlos Eduardo was leaving the club but did not give the Brazilian playmaker's destination. Eduardo did not play.

Cologne defender Youssef Mohamad earned the dubious distinction of receiving the quickest red hard in Bundesliga history when he was sent off after 87 seconds.

Mohamad was sent off for pulling down Erwin Hoffer to prevent a clear chance for Kaiserslautern. Despite being a man down, Cologne was the first to score when Milivoje Novakovic capitalized on a fumble by Kaiserslautern goalkeeper Tobias Sippel.

Srdjan Lakic began Kaiserslautern's comeback by scoring twice, in the 70th and 84th. Ivo Ilicevic completed the victory in the 88th.

St. Pauli dominated the match in Freiburg despite falling behind to a goal by Papiss Demba Cisse in the 78th.

The cult club from Hamburg's St. Pauli neighborhood struck back through Fabian Boll (83rd), Richard Sukuta-Pasu (89th) and Fin Bartels in injury time.

Hannover rebounded from its ouster in the German Cup by defeating Eintracht Frankfurt despite losing newly signed Portuguese midfielder Carlitos to a knee injury less then three minutes into the game.

Konstantin Rausch put the home side ahead in the 21st, Benjamin Koehler tied the game six minutes later but Dider Ya Konan secured the victory for Hannover in the 75th.

Mohamadou Idrissou salvaged a 1-1 draw for Borussia Moenchengladbach against Nuremberg, which had gone ahead through Jens Hegeler in the 15th. Idrissou scored in the 31st.