Four-some Roo puts United on top

BY foxsports • January 23, 2010

Rooney needed just eight minutes to open the scoring but it was not until eight minutes from the end that he grabbed his second. A third, and his fourth United hat-trick, followed shortly afterwards following a cross by the excellent Nani before Rooney completed his massacre of Phil Brown's men with a solo effort in stoppage time. It will take more than one decent display to change the almost universal negative opinion of Nani but against Hull he always looked up and when an early ball was on, he generally played it. It was Nani who played an excellent reverse pass through for Michael Owen's best chance on only his fifth league start of the campaign, only for former Manchester United defender Paul McShane to divert it back to Boaz Myhill with a despairing tackle. That was the first of numerous chances for the hosts, only one of which had found the net. There have been plenty of times down the years when a Paul Scholes screamer has left a hapless goalkeeper grasping fresh air. Age has lessened those instances but the veteran midfielder still packs a powerful punch and Myhill could only turn away his seventh-minute effort. And Rooney was on to the loose ball in a flash to drill with his second touch beyond Myhill, the Hull hero at Tottenham last week. United did not really look liking adding to the scoreline before the break but Rooney continued to battle hard and was just off target with a 25-yard shot after the the interval before Park was set up by Nani only to completely mess up his shot. But was uninspiring fare from the hosts and they looked increasingly vulnerable to the counter-attack. Substitute Kamel Ghilas almost got the equaliser too when he turned on to McShane's cross, only to see his shot bobble agonisingly wide of the far post. Nerves would have been settled if Gibson had spotted Rooney on his own and played a pass to the striker rather than chipping on to the roof of Myhill's net from 40 yards after Nani had sprung the offside trap. Rooney was clearly unhappy with the Irishman so he decided to take command himself. When Myhill fumbled Nani's free-kick on to his own bar and then flattened Andy Dawson, he created mayhem in the Hull box which Rooney exploited with a typically brutal finish. The England man then gleefully nodded home a Nani cross as the Portugal wide-man continued to play an excellent supporting role to the main act. Hull were on their knees before Rooney fired home again from inside the box in stoppage time. The home fans roared their approval and chanted their hero's name. At least it made a change from the Glazers.

share story