Everton's stoppage-time goals clinch draw vs Man U

BY foxsports • September 11, 2010

Everton stunned Manchester United with two stoppage time goals to salvage a 3-3 draw in the Premier League on Saturday.

Unmarked Tim Cahill headed home first and then Mikel Arteta's shot deflected off Paul Scholes into the net to secure the draw.

''From a position of complete comfort we have thrown it away,'' United manager Alex Ferguson said. ''We wasted our chances to bury Everton.''

United had led 3-1 as the clock hit 90 minutes at Goodison Park - even without Wayne Rooney. The striker was dropped to protect him from fans' abuse at his former ground, amid newspaper allegations about his private life.

United midfielder Darren Fletcher had canceled out Steven Pienaar's goal for Everton just before halftime, Nemanja Vidic headed the visitors in front immediately after the break and Dimitar Berbatov added another in the 66th minute.

Ferguson's side would have been even further ahead had Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard not pulled off some key saves.

''The goalkeeper was fantastic today, I think the goalkeeper was probably the difference,'' Everton manager David Moyes said.

Everton's opener came after United defender Patrice Evra missed an ambitious overhead-kick clearance and Arteta charged through on goal.

Although the Spaniard shot straight at Edwin van der Sar, Leon Osman turned the rebound to Pienaar at the far post who rolled the ball into the net in the 39th.

Four minutes later, Nani's cross was diverted home by Fletcher and then Berbatov's volley almost put United ahead in first-half stoppage time.

However, United did take the lead two minutes after the break. Nani's corner was only half-cleared and when Paul Scholes returned the ball to the Portugal winger wide on the right he swung over a cross for an unmarked Vidic to head in from five meters (yards).

With United in control, Scholes picked out Berbatov wide on the right and the Bulgarian's first touch took him clear of Sylvain Distin and he fired the ball past Howard into the net.

''In the second half they were powerful and went over the top of us,'' Howard said. ''But we had spirit and we had fight and we got the point which was important.''

share story