Dalglish defiant after Torres exit
Kenny Dalglish insists Liverpool will not dwell on the departure of Fernando Torres but will instead focus on the players still at Anfield.
The Spain international completed a £50million transfer to Chelsea on Monday having handed in a transfer request late last week.
Liverpool immediately replaced the 26-year-old with Newcastle's Andy Carroll for £35million and handed him Torres' number nine shirt.
Having also brought in Ajax forward Luis Suarez for £22.8million, Dalglish said everyone was looking to the future and Torres was not part of the Reds' history.
"We're disappointed that he's gone but the football club will continue and the football club will try its best to move on and go from strength to strength," he said.
"The football club will appreciate people that have been here and had a go for the club but it won't dwell on the past.
"We'll look forward and look upwards hopefully."
Dalglish added on liverpoolfc.tv: "There is no one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club."
To many fans, Torres handled his departure without any dignity and his assertion on his own website that: "Since last summer I've felt I needed to move my career forward and to meet my ambitions" will have done little to help his cause.
Former Liverpool striker John Aldridge was scathing in his assessment of Torres and his attitude.
"He has been really poor for some time except against Chelsea (scoring twice in the 2-0 win at Anfield) - perhaps he always wanted to go there," he told Sky Sports News.
"The fans have been making excuses for him, saying he's injured and he's not right and they've stuck by him but he's not been half the player he was for some time.
"Chelsea are taking a bit of a gamble. Can they resurrect his form?
"Having said that, if he does click with Didier Drogba that's one hell of a front line."