The Latest: Stanford student who stopped attack speaks out
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) The Latest on a six-month jail sentence for a former Stanford University swimmer convicted of sex assault (all times local):
One of the Stanford University graduate students who stopped a sexual assault on an unconscious woman says he saw a former swimmer ''aggressively thrusting his hips into her.''
Carl-Fredrik Arndt tells CBS News (http://cbsn.ws/25K6Ca9 ) that he and his friend stopped the January 2015 attack after they happened to ride by on bicycles.
Arndt says the 23-year-old woman was unconscious the entire time because he checked her and she ''didn't move at all.'' He says Brock Turner ran away when the pair said the woman wasn't moving, and his friend chased him down.
The 20-year-old Turner was convicted in the attack and sentenced last week to six months in jail and three years' probation, sparking national outrage from critics who said it was too lenient.
Stanford University says it ''did everything within its power'' to ensure justice in the case of a former swimmer convicted of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman.
In a statement released Monday, Stanford says it reached out to the victim to offer support and inform her of the steps the university was taking. The school says it banned Brock Turner from campus after wrapping up its investigation less than two weeks after the attack.
The university says it's a national leader in prevention programs, student training on intervention and support for victims. It says more work must be done at the school and elsewhere ''to create a culture that does not tolerate sexual violence in any form.''
The 20-year-old Turner was sentenced to six months in jail and three years' probation last week, sparking national outrage.