Spurrier upsets Wuerffel in SEC Greatest Player Tourney
The teacher has upset the master.
In a clash of Florida Heisman Trophy winners, seventh-seeded Steve Spurrier knocked off No. 2 Danny Wuerffel -- his former player when Spurrier was the Gators coach -- advancing to the Sweet 16 of the SEC Gridiron LIVE Greatest Player Tournament presented by Direct Auto Insurance.
But that wasn't the only instance of a No. 7 seed taking out a No. 2 as Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones beat Alabama's Lee Roy Jordan in the defensive side of the bracket's Bryant Region.
• CLICK HERE TO VOTE IN THE SEC GRIDIRON LIVE GREATEST PLAYER TOURNAMENT PRESENTED BY DIRECT AUTO INSURANCE
Spurrier now advances to face No. 6 seed Archie Manning in the third round of Dooley Region, while Jones faces another former Georgia star, No. 2 seed Champ Bailey.
Voting in those two matchups, along with the other regional semifinals -- No. 1 Herschel Walker vs. Emmitt Smith in the Dooley Region and No. 1 David Pollack vs. No. 5 Terry Hoage -- will begin Oct. 2 and run through midnight on Oct. 8.
In the mean time, we continue with the final eight second-round matchups with four in the Vaught Region (offense) and four in the Neyland Region (defense), highlighted by two massive offensive battles of No. 5 seed Billy Cannon vs. No. 4 Cam Newton and No. 7 Darren McFadden taking on No. 2 Bo Jackson.
Complete results of the Dooley and Bryant Regions are below and click here to see the live bracket.
· No. 1 Herschel Walker over No. 8 Ozzie Newsome
· No. 5 Emmitt Smith over No. 4 Barrett Jones
· No. 6 Archie Manning over 14 Pat Sullivan
· No. 7 Steve Spurrier over 2 Danny Wuerffel
BRYANT REGION (DEFENSE)
· No. 1 David Pollack over No. 9 Jack Youngblood
· No. 5 Terry Hoage over No. 4 Tommy Casanova
· No. 3 Champ Bailey over No. 6 Brandon Spikes
· No. 7 Jarvis Jones over No. 2 Lee Roy Jordan