Rep: Chyna suffered Benadryl overdose

BY foxsports • September 20, 2010

A representative for former World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) wrestler and “Celebrity Rehab” cast member Joan “Chyna” Laurer said she was hospitalized Monday in Los Angeles for an overdose of the antihistamine Benadryl, not alcohol poisoning as was originally reported, according to E! Online.

Laurer’s manager, who goes only by the name Sato, said Laurer, 39, had a bad reaction to Benadryl, an over-the-counter allergy medication. “Her hands were shaking after taking the medication," he said.

A source told entertainment website TMZ that Laurer took four to five times the recommended amount of Benadryl to help her sleep Sunday night, and woke up Monday morning throwing up and having difficulty walking.

Laurer was admitted Monday morning to UCLA Medical Center in an unknown condition.

Laurer wrestled for WWE from 1997 to 2001. Her fame was bolstered by the release of the porn film “One Night in Chyna,” in 2004, which featured Laurer and then-boyfriend Sean “X-Pac” Walton.

She later appeared on the VH1 reality show “The Surreal Life.” In 2008, she was a cast member on the network's “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew,” on which she admitted to problems with drug and alcohol abuse.


share story