Boston College rallies to beat Wake Forest

BY foxsports • February 13, 2013

BOSTON (AP) -- Joe Rahon hit two free throws with seven seconds left to cap an 8-0 run in the closing two minutes that lifted Boston College to an improbable 66-63 win over Wake Forest on Wednesday night, extending the Demon Deacons' Atlantic Coast Conference road woes.

Patrick Heckmann led the Eagles (11-13, 3-8) with 14 points, Ryan Anderson and Rahon each finished with 12.

C.J. Harris scored 23 points for Wake Forest, including a pair of late baskets that seemed to set up the Demon Deacons for their first conference road win of the season and just their second in 23 games under third-coach Jeff Bzdelik.

Instead, the Eagles pulled out only the second win in their last nine games.

Travis McKie had 11 points for the Demon Deacons (11-13, 4-8), whose last ACC road victory came against Boston College, 71-56 last Jan. 21.

They beat the Eagles 75-72 at home on Jan. 12 behind a career-best 29 points from Harris.

Wake Forest led by seven with 2:12 to play in this one, but Boston College scored the next six points, closing it to one with 33 seconds left.

After a 5-seconds call when the Demon Deacons failed to inbound the ball on the sideline, Rahon drove the lane and was fouled before calmly nailing both.

Harris was then called for traveling and Wake Forest was forced to foul Lonnie Jackson, who hit two free throws with 2 seconds left.

A long inbounds was batted away as the horn sounded.

Devin Thomas nailed a post-up turnaround over Heckmann and was fouled, converting the free throw to move Wake Forest ahead 59-56 with 4:40 to play. After a Boston College miss on the other end, Harris nailed a jumper from the left wing, pushing the Demon Deacons ahead by five with just under 4 minutes left.

A couple of possessions later, Harris split a pair of Boston College defenders and drove the lane for a layup, making it 63-56 with 2:12 to play.

The Eagles went nearly 5 minutes without a point before Olivier Hanlan had two free throws, Eddie Odio a dunk and Hanlan was credited with a basket on a goaltending call, closing it to 63-62 with 33 seconds left.

The Demon Deacons led by one at halftime and pushed it to 46-40 on Harris' two free throws just under 4 minutes into the second half.

After that, Boston College continued to hang close, keeping it a two-possession game or less over the next 6 minutes until Odio's two free throws moved the Eagles ahead 48-47 with 10:28 to play.

The score was then tied four times until Thomas' 3-point play.

Following a fairly fast-paced opening 20 minutes, both teams appeared very cautious and reluctant to run in the opening 10 minutes of the second half.

In the first half, it looked from the start like Wake Forest was on its way to another miserable result in an ACC road game.

BC, coming off a heartbreaking one-point loss at then-No. 4 Duke on Sunday, nailed eight of its initial 11 shots from the floor -- including a 4 of 6 on 3-point attempts -- and jumped to an early 13-point lead before the Demon Deacons started to push the ball up the floor quicker and nailed some 3s of their own during an 18-6 run that pushed them ahead 24-23 on Harris' fast-break layup.

The teams then traded leads three times before Wake Forest took a 37-36 edge into intermission.

The Demon Deacons had lost five of their last six conference road contests by 16 or more points; the other was a one-point setback at Virginia Tech on Jan. 19.

share story