BC-Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Tuesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- MADRID - Spanish Football Federation president Angel Maria Villar, FIFA's senior vice president and a long-time player in world soccer is arrested, along with Villar's son and two more federation executives, in an anti-corruption investigation.
- More than a year since FIFA declared the end of its corruption turmoil, the optimism has proved erroneous. The arrest of the man who is one heartbeat from the presidency of world soccer demonstrates that.
- SOUTHPORT, England - Jordan Spieth nearly won the British Open when he arrived immediately after winning in America. He didn't fare so well when he arrived last year a full weekend early. Like so many others, Spieth is looking for the right formula to prepare for the links test.
- SOUTHPORT, England - Justin Rose thrust his arms in the air and tilted his head toward the heavens, a seminal image from his first British Open. He was 17 and returns to Royal Birkdale as one of the favorites, not an amateur fluke.
- SOUTHPORT, England - Jon Rahm played his first major as a pro a year ago at the British Open. Now, the feisty Spaniard is among the top 10 in the world and looking to join the cast of young stars in golf.
- PITTSBURGH - Pirates outfielder Starling Marte returns from an 80-game steroid suspension against Milwaukee. Junior Guerra (1-3) starts for the Brewers against Pittsburgh's Ivan Nova (9-6). Game starts 7:05 p.m.
- MINNEAPOLIS - Bartolo Colon (2-8) makes his debut with the Minnesota Twins at age 44, taking the mound at Target Field to face rookie slugger Aaron Judge and the New York Yankees. Game starts 8:10 p.m.
- CHICAGO - Clayton Kershaw (14-2) and the NL West-leading Los Angeles Dodgers go for their 10th straight victory when they open a two-game series against Miguel Gonzalez (4-8) and the Chicago White Sox. Game starts 8:10 p.m.
- NEW YORK - The WNBA announces the reserves for its All-Star Game. There are expected to be a lot of first-timers as well as veterans Nneka Ogwumike and Breanna Stewart.
- ROMANS-SUR-ISERE, France - Three-time champion Chris Froome defends his yellow jersey as the peloton heads toward the Alps across Massif Central and the Rhone valley in Stage 16, a 165-kilometer (102.53-mile) trek.
- FRISCO, Texas - Kansas State coach Bill Snyder, at 77 years old and preparing for his 26th season, has spoken little publicly about his treatment for throat cancer earlier this year. He speaks publicly at the Big 12 media days.
- FRISCO, Texas - Texas' Tom Herman is the next young star coach to make his Big 12 media days debut. The Longhorns won the league's last national title a dozen years ago but last won the conference title in 2009. Oklahoma, which has new coach Lincoln Riley, has won four of its record 10 Big 12 titles since then.
- NEWPORT, R.I. - The American Athletic Conference has become a developing ground for Power Five coaches. With Tom Herman, Matt Rhule and Willie Taggart, Mike Norvell of Memphis, SMU's Chard Morris and Tulsa's Philip Montgomery could become the next hot commodity coaching in the AAC?