Volcano forces US out of world youth championships

BY foxsports • April 19, 2010

The U.S. team has withdrawn from the world youth boxing championships in Azerbaijan because of the volcano in Iceland.

The start of the tournament already had been delayed until Sunday, but USA Boxing said Monday the team still would not have been able to arrive on time.

Interim executive director Mike Martino says USA Boxing staff is ``very disappointed for our athletes'' but insists dropping out of the tournament was the right decision.

Ten U.S. boxers were to have competed. All earned their spots by winning the under-19 national championships in February.


share story