AVONDALE, Az. -- It was a strange day at Phoenix Raceway Friday, when Kyle Busch and Joey Logano met with NASCAR officials to discuss their crash and mini-brawl at Las Vegas Motor Speedway last week.
Afterward, Busch was asked about half a dozen questions by reporters. His answers to all of them were this, with slight variations in words used: “Everything’s great. Looking forward to getting back to the race track and into my race car.”
Logano, on the other hand, was considerably more forthcoming when he met with the media Friday afternoon between practice and qualifying for the Camping World 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race.
Here are the seven key things Logano said about the incident.
The crash was Logano’s fault
To his credit, Logano did not duck responsibility for the contact with Busch. “It is a mistake. We all make them every day,” said Logano. “We learn from them and we move on. Mistakes sometimes aren’t a bad thing, this one was not so good. Hopefully we can move on from that. … Was it a big mistake, not to start, but then it had a big reaction to a small little wiggle. It grew to something bigger.
Getty ImagesGetty Images
It was an accident
Logano continued to insist the contact with Busch was the result of hard racing on the last lap and not deliberate. “We were racing to the checkered flag and I have no reason to do anything on purpose for fourth place,” said Logano. “That makes no sense. We were racing hard for position and the car got loose.”
, LAT Images www.latphoto.co.ukMatthew T. Thacker
He gave Busch data
Logano brought his computer to the meeting to show Busch data that provided the contact was the result of an accident, not because of some malicious act on Logano’s part. “He (Busch) asked for data when we talked on the phone and I was able to bring that with me and present that and try to explain what was going on inside my race car,” said Logano. “We try to move on from there.”
, LAT Images www.latphoto.co.ukJohn K Harrelson
They used to get along
Noting that hey and Busch have raced each other for a long time, Logano said the two never had a problem until Las Vegas. “We have been racing each other for nine years and you think about the amount of XFINITY races and Cup races that is, because we both run a lot of races together,” said Logano. “Not only running them but we have raced each other for first and second a lot and we have never had an issue.”
Getty ImagesGetty Images
He didn’t get punched
The video from JeffGluck.com makes it look as if Busch connected with Logano’s face with a right hook. Logano swore otherwise. “You took the video,” Logano told Gluck. “I said, ‘I have ninja moves man!’ I slipped (the punch).”
He wouldn’t punch anyone else
Neither his sponsors nor team owner Roger Penske would tolerate Logano throwing a punch at another driver. “That is not the way I do things,” said Logano when asked if he’d take a swing at another driver. “I feel that as a representative of Shell and Pennzoil and Ford and more importantly Roger Penske and the image he puts out there, I am responsible when I put on this fire suit. I feel like he expects me to be as professional as I can possibly be.”
Not sure where things stand
Logano said he doesn’t know how this will be resolved with Busch. “Time will tell,” said Logano. “I guess your actions on the race track are what speaks the loudest a lot of times I guess. I believe so. Like I said, I tried to be as open and honest and be an open book. There are no secrets. Hopefully that helped.”