Liverpool sign Mario Balotelli to long-term deal from AC Milan
AUG 25, 2014 12:22p ET
LIVERPOOL, England --
Nineteen months after ending a 2 1/2-year spell with Manchester City to play for his boyhood club, Balotelli will return to the English Premier League as a replacement for Luis Suarez - another of world football's talented but disruptive stars.
The club said in a statement: "Liverpool can confirm they have completed the signing of Italy striker Mario Balotelli, subject to registration. The 24-year-old sealed his switch to Anfield from AC Milan after passing a medical and agreeing a long-term deal to become the Reds' ninth signing of the summer so far."
The Italy striker tweeted the news of his signing minutes ahead of the official club announcement, saying: "YNWA! COME ON LIVERPOOL!"
Liverpool has been looking to strengthen its strikeforce after selling Suarez to Barcelona for $130 million.
During his time at City, in which he won the league title, Balotelli was sent off four times, threw a dart at a youth-team player and was involved in an incident that saw fireworks let off in his bathroom.
Days before news of the fireworks incident emerged, Balotelli had revealed a T-shirt under his City jersey with the question, ''Why Always Me?'' after scoring in the team's 6-1 win over Manchester United.
Balotelli, with his physique, technical ability and qualities as a finisher, is one of the world's best strikers and, at 24, the best times of his career could still lie ahead of him. At Milan, he scored 26 goals in 43 league matches and he is the Italian national team's top striker.
But with trouble always seeming to follow him, some are questioning whether Balotelli is worth the risk for Liverpool, which has fostered a strong team spirit under manager Brendan Rodgers that helped it finish second in the Premier League last season. Jose Mourinho described Balotelli as ''unmanageable'' during their time together at Inter Milan, which the striker left in 2010 to join City.
However, Rodgers got the best out of Suarez and current first-choice striker Daniel Sturridge, who both had turbulent pasts before arriving at Anfield. Sections of the British media have reported that Balotelli has had to agree to behavior clauses being included in his contract with Liverpool.
''We have a fantastic environment here and a great culture, and I think it is something that was very important for us to create and build here,'' Rodgers said Friday. ''There will be nothing that will ever shake that or provoke it in any way.''
Rodgers' attempts to bring in a striker has seen him look at Loic Remy of Queens Park Rangers, whose switch to Anfield broke down at the last minute, and former Barcelona, Inter Milan and Chelsea star Samuel Eto'o. Last month, during Liverpool's tour of the United States, Rodgers was linked with a bid for Balotelli.
In the club statement, Balotelli, who won a league winner's medal with City in 2012, said Liverpool was "a great team with young players. I'm very happy. We've been talking about coming here and now I'm happy to be here. Liverpool are one of the best teams here in England and the football is very good here. It's a great team with young players, and that's why I came here."
FOXSoccer.com's newswire services contributed to this report.