Gotze will have to decide his own future, says Bayern chief

Bayern Munich midfielder Mario Gotze's future at the club is up in the air.

Bayern Munich say Mario Gotze will have to decide for himself whether he wants to move away from the club.

The Germany international, who famously scored the winning goal in the 2014 World Cup final, has struggled to establish himself in Bayern’s starting eleven since joining from Borussia Dortmund.

Sky sources understand the 23-year-old is a transfer target for Liverpool, where he would be reunited with his former boss at Dortmund, Jurgen Klopp.

And with new head coach Carlo Ancelotti set to begin work at the Allianz Arena, Bayern’s CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has refused to give Gotze any guarantees.

"I had talks with him (Mario) and (Carlo) Ancelotti. Mario knows the thoughts of Bayern," Rummenigge told Kicker magazine. "Everything was clearly and seriously explained to Mario.

"He knows what the club thinks and what the new coach thinks. Mario has to evaluate for himself whether he wants to play constantly."

Gotze appeared to commit his short-term future to Bayern on Monday, when he told German reporters he was looking forward to working with Ancelotti.

He also split with his agent, Volker Struth, who had previously criticised the club.

Despite only starting 11 Bundesliga games last season, Gotze is expected to be part of the Germany squad for Euro 2016 and is in contention to play in their upcoming friendlies against Slovakia and Hungary.