Signing Day primer: Strap in for football's wildest day of the year
FEB 05, 2014 8:00a ET
While they typically don't bring with them the immediate impact their one-and-done basketball brethren inject into their programs, freshmen in college football have paid increasingly large dividends in recent years. One only need look back to the last two seasons to see what first-year stars can do nowadays.
Time will tell whether this year's crop of freshmen include a Johnny Manziel or Jameis Winston (holders of the last two Heismans — as redshirt freshmen, the last BCS championship that will ever be awarded, and the majority of the national headlines the last 14 months), there's no denying your school's future is more than ever dependent upon which hats a bunch of teenagers choose to wear.
Welcome to National Signing Day 2014.
But before Scout.com brings you the web's best Signing Day coverage, here are the top storylines you need to know in anticipation of the nation's top high school players putting pen to paper beginning Wednesday morning.
• Keep up on the latest news with Scout's commitment tracker.
• And here's Scout's Signing Day primer — the most thorough on the web.
• It appears the title of nation's No. 1 recruiting class is already set — but the battle for No. 2 could be one for the ages.
Around the nation
• Need another reminder of the immediate impact of Signing Day? Look at what Florida State and Jameis Winston just did.
• You likely won't forget theses names — even if they end up never taking the field in an NCAA game.
• Here's why you can expect some recent losers to score big on Signing Day.
• To nobody's surprise, expect one conference to dominate Signing Day.
• But a big part of that dominance comes from a former national power awakening from its slumber.
• The Southeast isn't the only recruiting hotbed. Here's what to expect in Southern California.
• In fact, the new King of Los Angeles is bringing recruiting to never-before-seen technological heights.
• And let's not forget about the Midwest, where perhaps the nation's best recruiter resides.
• And Florida State may get another challenge from last season's biggest surprise.
Learning from Signing Days past
• Here's how mama can squash a potential dynasty.
• Regardless of how many times a kid tells you he's coming, he's not in the fold until he officially signs — and other wild Signing Day tales.
And if your team doesn't finish as highly in the recruiting rankings as you would like, not to worry. Sometimes all the big schools blow it, giving the little guys some of the biggest Signing Day steals.
Let the signing begin!