Luke Rockhold only wants Vitor Belfort rematch or title fight next
JUL 09, 2014 8:32p ET
It's Vitor Belfort, title shot or bust for Luke Rockhold.
The former Strikeforce middleweight champion is about to amp up his training after being sidelined with a broken toe and he only wants two fights, UFC Tonight's Ariel Helwani reports.
"I want Vitor," Rockhold said. "If they won't grant me that, then I want the title. I've beaten everybody else."
Rockhold (12-2) makes a strong point. He already has wins over top contenders in the middleweight division like Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Tim Kennedy. He has won two straight in the UFC in dominant fashion over Costas Philippou and Tim Boetsch. His lone loss in the last seven years came to Belfort last year in Brazil.
Rockhold, ranked No. 5 among middleweight contenders, completely destroyed Boetsch at UFC 172 in Baltimore back in April, winning via submission with a ridiculous inverted triangle choke-kimura. But he ended up breaking his toe in the process, shutting him down until recently.
UFC president Dana White has said Vitor Belfort is likely to get the next shot at middleweight champion Chris Weidman, but Belfort has still yet to be licensed to fight by the Nevada Athletic Commission after TRT was banned in February. It seems like Rockhold is going to have to play the waiting game a little longer to see how it all shakes out.