Alistair Overeem is ‘€˜hiding’ from Junior dos Santos fight

Alistair Overeem wants no part of JDS according to Dana White.

Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

Alistair Overeem apparently has no interest in seeing Junior dos Santos across the cage.

UFC president Dana White told UFC Tonight’s Ariel Helwani that he offered the dos Santos fight to Overeem twice and he turned down both options. The first one would have been a five-round main event in Brazil. The other was a three-round co-main event in Las Vegas.

"He wants nothing to do with dos Santos,” White said. “He’s literally hiding from JDS … but he had no problem calling out Brock Lesnar who hasn’t fought in two years and who is in WWE."

Overeem could not be reached by Helwani, because he is vacationing in Jamaica following his decision win over Frank Mir at UFC 169 on Feb. 1. After that fight, Overeem told Joe Rogan in the Octagon that he would gladly welcome Lesnar back into the UFC. Of course, Overeem already knocked out Lesnar in December 2011, which was the last time the current WWE star fought in the UFC.

Dos Santos has not fought since losing a heavyweight title fight to Cain Velasquez in October. He and Overeem have history. Dos Santos has repeatedly accused Overeem of steroid use and called him “a joke” in a radio interview last year in Brazil.

Overeem responded to MMAFighting stating, "I’m hurt. Rib problem. So first [I] need an ETA on recovery time. [It] would be unwise to accept any fight before knowing exactly what’s up. [I] wouldn’t want to pull out of any fight [due to] being unfit, especially an anticipated fight as this one."

Not only is there heat between the two, they’re both excellent strikers, arguably the top two in the division. It’s a fight that has been long anticipated, perhaps by everyone except Overeem if what White is saying is accurate.