Court McGee out until 2015 after wrist surgery
MAY 01, 2014 10:31a ET
Court McGee's year is over before it ever really began.
The UFC welterweight will be out of action until early 2015 after undergoing surgery on his right wrist earlier this week, his management team told FOX Sports.
The 29-year-old originally suffered the injury during his Dec. 14 UFC on FOX fight. In the aftermath, McGee actually dealt with injuries to both of his wrists and attempted to treat them through rehabilitation. While his left wrist healed up, his right did not, necessitating a surgical remedy.
The operation, which took place on Tuesday, repaired a torn scapholunate ligament, according to Ryan Buescher of Paradigm Sports Management.
The scapholunate connects two small carpal bones together and allows the wrist to move in a smooth rotation. The injury is fairly common in athletes, causing a severe decrease in grip strength among other problems.
Buescher said doctors are forecasting a nine-month recovery time, effectively putting McGee out of action for the rest of the year and wiping out his 2014 campaign.
McGee was the season 11 winner of The Ultimate Fighter. He has a professional record of 16-4 and has gone 5-3 during his UFC tenure thus far. In his most recent bout, he lost to the unbeaten Ryan LaFlare in a unanimous decision, a defeat that snapped a two-fight win streak.