FOX Sports Exclusive
Buzz: Pelicans mascot is scary
New Orleans’ NBA franchise played its first home game as the Pelicans Wednesday, and that meant the introduction of a new mascot. This is that mascot:
Introducing your new mascot Pierre the Pelican! pic.twitter.com/CieVTs3sMt— New Orleans Pelicans (@PelicansNBA) October 31, 2013
If that’s a pelican, it’s not like any pelican I've ever seen before. The thing is nightmare-inducing, and if I didn’t know better, I’d say it was simply a cruel Halloween costume meant to scare small children at New Orleans Arena.
But apparently, the team is keeping it, so that means we’ll have to get used to it. Fortunately for Pierre, there’s some precedent for such things, and these mascots should serve as proof that even the creepiest and most horrifying mascots can eventually gain acceptance...
Providence's creepy Friar mascot. pic.twitter.com/5XNowS5jGb— Chris Meiman (@chrismeiman) October 27, 2013
Oklahoma State mascot is kinda creepy pic.twitter.com/hyBpDLB13U— Alex McDougall (@adougall) March 21, 2013
seriously SLU get a less terrifying mascot, you're scaring the children pic.twitter.com/z6fMZXjgTl— â˜¯§ρâ˜¹â˜¹ÐºÑ‡ ρΛÑΛρρΛâ˜¯ (@parappa_trappa) March 21, 2013
Pierre also has plenty of strange company in the professional ranks, as well…
The Rockies mascot has to be one of the worst in sports pic.twitter.com/TGxqtGPmSA— Patrick Graff (@Pgraff21) July 20, 2013
Are you a Cincinnati Reds fan? Do you have nightmares about your team's mascot? pic.twitter.com/mgNt2qGaOQ— Stacy Lynne (@ladystabson) April 17, 2013
Columbus Blue Jackets:
Of course, none of that is to say that Pierre the Pelican will ever catch on — heck, not even everyone likes the Pelicans nickname to begin with — but on a day when anyone can get away with dressing up as anything, I think it’s fair to remind him that there’s still hope for his future.
Now, for some links:
• Paul George bought every single ticket to Fresno State's basketball home opener.
• Albert Haynesworth fired back at Chris Cooley saying Cooley " sounds as stupid as he looks."
• Tim McCarver signed off for the final time after Wednesday’s Game 6:
• There is a backup goalie in the ECHL who is also a Neil Diamond impersonator.
• A former Major Leaguer explains why he quit baseball after one season in the bigs.
• The Today Show explored how the Ohio State Band does what it does:
• Jay Cutler and Kristin Cavallari are expecting their second child.
• The Cubs erected mock-up right field signs in an effort to show that they won't block the views from Sheffield Ave. rooftops.
• Dolphins OT Jonathan Martin went AWOL this week after taking exception to a prank in the team cafeteria.
• Iman Shumpert takes you through his very depressing haircut:
• FAU could reportedly seek $500,000 in damages from former football coach Carl Pelini, who resigned Wednesday.
• Jay-Z's sports agency is reportedly targeting UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley.
• Dr. J blames braces for the conception of his daughter.
• Drake explains why you should be excited about the Raptors:
• Fred Davis admits to sleeping during team meetings, which is sure to get him his starting job back.
• Via FTW, Jacoby Ellsbury high-fived John Kerry at Game 6:
• Notre Dame wide receiver Corey Robinson says he doesn't talk football with his dad, NBA legend David Robinson, because his pops "doesn't know anything about football."
• Eight Houston Astros prospects went on a trip to the Dominican Republic.
• It doesn’t get much more “Boston” than Dropkick Murphys singing the national anthem at a Red Sox World Series game:
• Meet the guy who drove across the country in record time.
• A pain relief company offered to give every player on the Cardinals postseason roster pain reliever for life — and after Game 6, they might need it.
• Jerry Kill is going to keep coaching from the press box for Minnesota.
• Jennifer Garner came on the Jimmy Kimmel show wearing a Red Sox beard:
More Stories From Sam Gardner