Camping World Truck Series driver Spencer Gallagher has issued an apology for his role in a fight with fellow driver John Wes Townley early last Sunday morning late in the Drivin’ for Linemen 200 at Gateway Motorsports Park.
"I would like to take time to address my actions at Gateway Motorsports Park this past weekend," Gallagher said in a statement he released to the media Monday evening. "First, I would like to apologize to John Wes Townley. Additionally, to his team and fans, I am sorry."
Gallagher addressed an incident earlier in the race when he got into the truck being driven by Townley, causing the first of two wrecks involving their trucks. That more or less set off a chain reaction that ultimately led to their trucks tangling again — and then the two of them as well — on the track as the rain-delayed race that began about 9:45 p.m. ET finally neared its completion well after midnight.
"The incident earlier in the race was not intentional and certainly was not meant to cause bigger problems later in the event," Gallagher said. "My crew, who have worked so hard to get me to where I am this season, did not deserve to have their night ended in that way. My teammates and all of the guys back at the shop deserve more respect than was shown Saturday night.
"I would also like to apologize to my team owner, who wholeheartedly believes in this organization and expects all of us to perform at our best at all times, no matter the situation. And finally, I would like to extend a sincere apology to the NASCAR community — representatives and fans. I love this sport just as much as all of you and I am ashamed that I was part of an incident that has allowed so many to view what we do in a negative light."
NASCAR officials have said they are reviewing the incident and will decide, possibly by later today, whether or not to penalize the two drivers for their actions.