Rossi not told he was out until after FP1

American race car driver Alexander Rossi was not told that he would not be participating in Sunday's Formula One Belgian Grand Prix until after he got out of the car at the end of Free Practice 1.

Alexander Rossi looks on from the cockpit of his Marussia F1 car during FP1 at the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Spa, Belgium.

Charles Coates / LAT Photographic

Alexander Rossi was in philosophical mood after missing out on his F1 race debut this weekend, and preferred to look on the positives of having had the chance to drive for Marussia in FP1 at Spa before handing the car back to Max Chilton.

He also revealed that he was the last to know that he would not be driving for the rest of the weekend. The team management told the media during FP1 and the news was quickly circulated, but Rossi himself was not informed until he got out of the car at the end of the session.

“It was a bit of a surprise but at the end of the day there's nothing you can do about it,” he said. “There's no point complaining or anything, it's just the way it goes, and we'll be back very soon.

“I don't think it's as hard as you would expect, because it came so quickly and it went away the same way. I don't think it had probably sunken in quite yet that I would be racing. It was just a Friday morning session, which is nothing new for me. I am quite disappointed not to be able to race this weekend, but that's the sport we are involved with.”

Rossi said just being considered for a race seat had been a boost: “I think if anything it's raised my profile in the States quite a bit, which is nothing but a good thing.”

Send feedback on our
new story page