Feb. 28: Spring training games begin March 1: Mandatory reporting date
● Reporting dates for all 30 teams March 16: Last day to place a player on unconditional release waivers and pay 30 days termination pay instead of 45 days March 30: Last day to request unconditional release waivers on a player without having to pay his full 2016 salary April 3: Opening Day Sunday tripleheader (All times ET)
● Cardinals at Pirates, 1:05 p.m.
● Blue Jays at Rays, 4:05 p.m.
● Mets at Royals, 8:35 p.m. April 4: Opening Day — 24 teams in action April 5: Ten games, including final teams to open season — Tigers at Marlins
● Note: Teams must reduce rosters to 25 players day of their respective opener April 15: Jackie Robinson Day May 31: Roberto Clemente Day June 9-11: MLB Draft July 10: Futures Game, San Diego July 10: Legends and Celebrity Softball Game, San Diego (following Futures Game) July 11: Home Run Derby, San Diego July 12: 87th All-Star Game (on FOX), San Diego July 15: Deadline for amateur draft picks to sign July 24: Hall of Fame inductions, Cooperstown, NY July 31: Last day to trade a player without securing waivers Sept. 1: Active rosters expand to 40 players Oct. 2: Regular season ends (All games begin at 3 p.m. ET) Five days after World Series: Deadline for teams to make qualifying offers to their eligible former players who became free agents 12 days after World Series: Deadline for free agents to accept qualifying offers Dec. 2: Last day for teams to offer 2017 contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters Dec. 5-8: Winter Meetings, Washington, D.C.