Brett Favre is being inducted into the Packers Hall of Fame this weekend and having his jersey retired later this year.
To honor one of Green Bay’s most beloved players — and one of football’s most polarizing â we present some of Favre’s top moments in a six-part series. Appropriately, there are 4 listed in each category.
Part 3: Top amazing and embarrassing moments
TOP 4 AMAZING MOMENTS
4. Sept. 13, 1992: Inexplicably, unbelievably and very much early-Favreably, on his first play with the Packers, the quarterback threw a pass that was deflected by a defender. Rather than let it fall incomplete, Favre caught it himself — his first completion and reception — and was tackled for a loss of seven yards. The Packers were defeated 31-3 by Tampa Bay, as Favre in a relief role threw for just 106 yards.
3. Dec. 24, 1995: After rolling out and fleeing the pocket in a game against the Steelers, Favre scrambled to the 1-yard line, where he was clobbered by three Pittsburgh defenders. Green Bay called timeout and Favre was seen coughing up blood on the sideline. Still, he returned to throw a 1-yard touchdown pass to Mark Chmura, which gave the Packers a 24-19 victory that clinched the division title.
2. October-November, 2009: After leaving Green Bay and spending one season with the New York Jets, Favre joined the Vikings, a division rival of the Packers against whom he’d have to play twice a year. Favre led Minnesota to wins in both games against his former team in 2009, including a hugely hyped return to Lambeau Field. Favre threw for a combined seven touchdowns with — amazingly — zero interceptions in those two contests.
4. Jan. 6, 2002: In the final moments of the last game of the regular season, with Giants defensive end Michael Strahan needing one sack to set the NFL’s single-season record, Favre literally laid down for him. The gifted takedown gave Strahan 22.5 sacks, a record begotten of No. 4’s generosity, even if he’ll never admit it.
3. September 2014: Favre endorsed many products when he was an NFL superstar, from Nike to Wrangler. But since settling into retirement, the offers have been fewer, farther between and worse. His commercial for the Micro Touch beard trimmer ("I got my groom back!") was as cheesy as they come.
2. January 2011: After leaving New York, Favre was sued by two former massage therapists who had worked for the Jets and alleged that suggestive text messages he sent ultimately led to them losing their jobs. Among the improper messages, Favre tells one of the women, "I guess I have bad intentions."
1. October 2010: The most embarrassing incident for Favre involved his relationship (or fixation) with former Jets sideline reporter Jenn Sterger. Reports surfaced online that alleged that Favre, while the Jets quarterback in 2008, had sent Sterger multiple suggestive text messages, voicemails asking her to come to his hotel room and explicit photos of himself and his (soon-to-be notorious) genitals. Favre admitted leaving voicemails but said he didn’t send images. He was later fined $50,000 for "failure to cooperate" with the investigation.