‘Melo meets with Lakers for two hours, reportedly pitched max deal
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — After nearly two-and-a-half hours of being inside the Lakers training facility in El Segundo, free-agent forward Carmelo Anthony emerged with two acquaintances and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak.
After a few last words from Kupchak, Anthony and company hopped in a shiny red Rolls Royce, signed a few autographs for Lakers fans and left the facility headed for his Los Angeles meeting with Phil Jackson and Knicks brass.
Mitch & Melo pic.twitter.com/D1tujdV3W9
— Rahshaun Haylock (@RHaylock) July 3, 2014
The Lakers’ pitch to Anthony was made by Kupchak, team president Jeanie Buss and Hall of Famer James Worthy.
According to an ESPN report, the Lakers informed Anthony that if he chose them, they would offer a maximum four-year, $97 million contract.
Not present was Kobe Bryant. However, Bryant could get the last word once all is said in done.
Bryant, who was in Greece on Wednesday, could not attend the meeting because Anthony’s slotted time with the Lakers was pushed up due to Anthony’s meeting with the Knicks, which occurred later Thursday.
Bryant, however, could meet with Anthony on Thursday night in Los Angeles following the conclusion of his meeting with the Knicks.
When asked if he would be meeting with Bryant later, Anthony told reporters "We’ll see."
Earlier this week Anthony met with the Bulls, Rockets and Mavericks.
Thursday’s meetings with the Lakers and Knicks are his last scheduled ones before making a decision.
Anthony, an 11-year NBA veteran, spent the past four seasons in New York, averaging 26.5 points.
This summer marks the first time in his career he’s been a free agent. After his trade to the Knicks in 2011, he signed a three-year, $65 million extension with the club. Last month he opted out of the final year of his contract in order to become a free agent.
The Knicks reportedly offerred Anthony a maximum deal of five years and $129 million, ESPN reported. No other team can offer more than four years and $97 million, according to the current collective bargaining agreement.
Source: Melo's meeting with the Knicks is over. They reiterated to him that they will offer him a max contract
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 4, 2014