Weidman-Belfort likely for Memorial Day weekend, with Wanderlei-Sonnen underneath
The UFC’s Memorial Day weekend show appears to be the target destination for the upcoming middleweight championship fight between Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort. On Thursday, UFC president Dana White indicated that right now, the holiday card is the frontrunner to land the bout but stopped short of calling the decision official.
The date would fall on May 24.
Furthermore, wherever Weidman-Belfort lands — and the Fourth of July weekend remains the backup option — the long-awaited grudge match between Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen would serve as a supporting act.
“It will be on the same card,” White said. “That fight will be on the same card.”
Weidman, who is a perfect 11-0 so far in his career, has been installed as a moderate favorite in the matchup against Belfort, who is coming off of three-straight head kick knockouts, something never before accomplished in the Octagon.
Weidman has publicly stated a preference for the May date, citing a desire to enjoy some of the summer afterward with his family.
While the title matchup will be prized for its significance in the division, Sonnen-Silva is a bout years in the making, stemming from a feud that went from simmering to explosive over the course of the last three years.
Earlier this week, the two reportedly came to blows during filming of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil in Sao Paulo. Though White said certain parties were “punished” for their role in the melee, it won’t keep them from a high-profile matchup.
The Memorial Day weekend event location has yet to be officially announced, but is a virtual lock for the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, where it has been held every year since 2007.