Leben draws one-year UFC suspension
Middleweight fighter Chris Leben has been suspended for one year after testing positive for painkillers Oxycodone and Oxymorphone following his Nov. 5 loss to Mark Munoz in UFC 138 in Birmingham, England, UFC officials announced Monday.
"I like Chris and I want him to do well, but based on his actions, he’s been suspended for one year," UFC President Dana White said in a prepared statement. "If he needs professional help, we are going to be there for him. We want to see him succeed not only in the Octagon, but in his personal life."
Leben, 31, lost to Munoz by a second-round TKO in the main event of UFC 138. This is his second substance-related suspension in three years. He was previously suspended in 2008 for testing positive for the steroid stanozolol after a UFC 89 defeat to Michael Bisping, also fought in Birmingham.
"I would like to make it known that I fully accept this suspension and apologize for embarrassing the UFC, my friends and family, and sport of mixed martial arts," Leben said in a released statement. "I’m learning that I’m my own worst enemy sometimes. I can’t succeed in the Octagon or in life behaving this way.
"I’ve got to make some real changes over the next year and I’m going to focus on getting my life and career back on track. Again, I’m sorry to the UFC and fans that’ve supported me since my days on The Ultimate Fighter."