White: Nick Diaz still retired
Earlier this week, former UFC welterweight No. 1 contender Nick
Diaz was quoted in a story as saying he was ready to return to the
in “big fights.”
That was news to UFC president Dana White, who told FOX Sports
on Saturday night that as far as he knew, Diaz was still retired.
And that information, he said, was very current. It came from just
days ago, when he called Diaz’s lawyer and got the same
“They told me he’s retired,” he said. “I
talked to his guy last week. Literally last week. They said
Later on, White told the media that he actually offered Diaz a
specific fight and that is the answer that he got.
The 30-year-old Diaz stepped away from the sport after his
five-round unanimous decision loss to Georges St-Pierre at UFC 158
in March but it seems that he’s hellbent on returning on his
Since then, he promoted his own event, WAR MMA in Stockton,
Calif., but hasn’t really been heard from much aside from it.
That changed this week when the Fighters Only story was
In it, Diaz said “If there is a big fight available,
people know where I am,” but also laid out contract demands
that he earn between $3-$5 per pay-per-view units sold. Since he
still has fights remaining on his current deal, it’s unknown
whether the UFC would be interested in renegotiating a new one.
Diaz (26-9, 1 no contest) has dropped his last two fights,
including a decision loss to Carlos Condit in Feb. 2012.