Jones released from New Mexico jail on $2,500 bond

Jon Jones posted $2,500 bond and was released from an Albuquerque, N.M., jail late Monday night, bringing to an end a day on which the UFC light heavyweight champion was booked into custody after surrendering himself on charges stemming from a hit-and-run incident in the city on Sunday.

Albuquerque police records confirmed Jones was processed and released late Monday night.

Jones, 27, was sought as a suspect in a hit-and-run accident that early Sunday in which a pregnant woman identified as Vanessa Sonnenberg was transported to a local hospital and treated for a fractured wrist and arm. According to the arrest warrant, Sonnenberg said she felt as if she was going to pass out while at the scene before being sent for medical treatment.

Sonnenberg planned to have an ultrasound on Monday, as well, according to the warrant.

Police said that because of the injuries suffered by Sonnenberg, the charges elevated from a misdemeanor to a felony of leaving the scene of an accident.

The maximum penalty is three years in jail.

According to the arrest warrant, Jones was identified by an off-duty police officer who says he spotted the UFC fighter fleeing from a rented 2015 silver Buick that caused the accident before Jones allegedly returned to the scene to grab some cash from the car before running away again.

Police found paperwork in the vehicle that belonged to "Jonathan Jones which had MMA information on it from the state of Nevada" as well as a marijuana pipe with marijuana inside it.

Jon Jones’ booking photo, released late Monday afternoon.

The police originally tried to reach Jones as a "person of interest" before identifying him as the suspect late Sunday night, responsible for the crash that involved a total of three vehicles.

A warrant for his arrest was issued on Monday, and Jones, through his lawyers, made contact with authorities to arrange his surrender. Jones turned himself in on Monday night before being booked into custody at the detention center where he was processed and allowed to post bond.

Jones (21-1) is scheduled to defend his title against Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 187 in Las Vegas on May 23, headlining one of the promotion’s biggest shows of the year.

"We are in the process of gathering facts and will reserve further comment until more information is available," the UFC said in a statement.

Although he is widely considered the world’s best pound-for-pound mixed martial artist, Jones has endured legal problems and questionable behavior as champion.

Jones was arrested in 2012 after crashing his Bentley into a telephone pole in Binghamton, N.Y. He had his driver’s license suspended after being charged with DWI, but did no jail time.

Last August, Jones and challenger Daniel Cormier were involved in a brawl in the lobby of the MGM Grand casino while appearing at a promotional event. Jones was fined $50,000 and ordered to do community service by the Nevada Athletic Commission.

In early December, Jones tested positive for metabolites of cocaine while training for his bout. Jones was allowed to compete because the test was conducted out of competition, and he beat Cormier at UFC 182.

When the failed drug test became public, Jones publicly apologized for a "mistake," but spent just one day in a drug rehabilitation center before checking himself out.

Jones has defended his belt eight times since becoming the youngest champion in UFC history in March 2011.

— The Associated Press contributed to this report.