Injured Daniel Cormier out of UFC 206 title fight against Anthony Johnson
Daniel Cormier is out for UFC 206 after sustaining an injury and will not fight Anthony Johnson in the title bout.
An injury has forced UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier out of his title fight against Anthony Johnson at UFC 206 next month, according to MMAFighting. According to the report, UFC officials are working on putting together a new main event.
Cormier (18-1) defeated Johnson with a third round rear-naked choke in their initial fight for the vacant light heavyweight title at UFC 187 in May 2015. This came after Cormier filled in former champion Jon Jones after he was stripped of his title for his role in a hit-and-run incident in New Mexico.
The former U.S. Olympic wrestling captain would follow-up this performance with a thrilling decision win over Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 192, earning a Fight of the Night bonus while successfully defending his belt in the process.
Cormier was then scheduled to rematch Jon Jones on two separate occasions. They were originally slated to settle their differences at UFC 197 before an injury forced Cormier off of the card. As a result, Jones defeated Ovince Saint-Preux for the UFC’s interim title.
Cormier and Jones were scheduled to throw down in title unification bout at UFC 200. However, a failed drug test forced the UFC to pull Jones from the card mere days before the event. Cormier would go on to earn a decision over Jones’ replacement, Anderson Silva.
Johnson (22-5) most recently scored a vicious 13-second knockout over former title challenger Glover Teixeira at UFC 202 in August. This not only extended Johnson’s win streak to three straight but also marked his fifth (T)KO victory since re-joining the UFC in 2014.
The Blackzillian product previously decimated Jimi Manuwa last September before finishing Ryan Bader in January. To date 16 of Johnson’s 22 career wins have ended with the referee pulling him off his unconscious opponent.
- TBD vs. Anthony Johnson
- Max Holloway vs. Anthony Pettis
- Matt Brown vs. Donald Cerrone
- Dooho Choi vs. Cub Swanson
- Misha Cirkunov vs. Nikita Krylov
- Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Drew Dober
- Valerie Letourneau vs. Viviane Pereira
- John Makdessi vs. Lando Vannata
- Rustam Khabilov vs. Jason Saggo
- Mitch Gagnon vs. Matthew Lopez
- Zach Makovsky vs. Dustin Ortiz
- Emil Meek vs. Jordan Mein
- Tim Kennedy vs. TBD
What fight are you most looking forward to seeing at UFC 206?
More from FanSided
- Tom Herman refutes reports linking him to LSU, Texas11m ago
- Arizona State vs Arizona live stream: Watch online1 h ago
- Ezekiel Elliott trolls Redskins defense after Cowboys win1 h ago
- LSU players chant ‘keep Coach O’ after beating Texas A&M (Video)1 h ago
- Blackhawks vs. Ducks live stream: How to watch online1 h ago